And then what happened? Well, it's taken months of planning that's for sure! Heather, the founder of African Vision Malawi, and her husband, Nigel, live in the diocese of Kingston and the bishop is supportive of the work they are doing and agreed to write a letter of recommendation to his fellow clergy asking them to support me in finding hospitality on my way round the country. This letter has been like a magic key which has swung many doors wide open and I've been simply overwhelmed by the generosity and positive response I've had. So far I've only had to book myself into two B&Bs and there are only a few churches we've yet to hear back from towards the end of the trip but I've every confidence it will all work out.
So armed with the Bishop of Kingston's letter I was able to start planning my route. Now there's a relatively easy train journey from Bookham to Looe in Cornwall (via Guildford, Reading and Liskeard) so I plumped for Looe as my start point and approached a parish church about an afternoon's cycle ride east of Looe. This turned out to be in Yealmpton where I was warmly welcomed by Rev Murphy and his wife. The rest of the ride was planned on the basis of:
- location of parishes
- contour lines - how many hills, how high and how steep
- distance from a to b
- availability of national cycle routes
- proximity to the coast
So far I've cycled from Looe to Yealmpton to Paignton to Exmouth to Bridport and tomorrow I head on to Poole and then Hayling Island on Tuesday.
So that's the nuts and bolts of what I'm doing and if on my next rest day, which is Wednesday, my host has a computer I will write more about what it feels like to be on the road each day.
Until then, fare well and do post any comments, questions etc and I'll try to respond
Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteGood luck on your trip, sounds like quite the adventure :) and I hope your bum hurts less than my cycle trip...
In case you haven't checked out my blog yet here it is - http://summitformalawi.wordpress.com
I look forward to reading about your progress, lets hope we can raise some vital funds :)
Sam x