Wednesday, 24 July 2013

LESSONS FROM THE ROAD

Well, I've been on the road for a week now and yes, I've been sitting on the same bike, laden with the same panniers, pushing the same pedals around but no two hours have been the same.  I have met some lovely people with amazing stories to tell, stories which I can't tell here because that would be breaking trust.  The one common thread which lies behind these stories is people who are outward-looking and therefore have spent much of their lives making sure that others are included and not left on the fringes - which is probably the attitude which prompted them to "get" what I'm doing with this Around the Coast venture and to offer me such a warm welcome.

So what are some of the lessons I've learned?  Well, here goes:
  • use sun protection factor on your ears, and even behind your ears - yes, I know my mother told me always to wash behind my ears, well now I have a reason for it.
  • bug attacks - these are frequent, unpredictable and best managed by breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth, aiming the stream of air downwards.  A bit like the breathing exercises pregnant mums are taught (I always knew they'd come in handy one day)
  • on entering a cafe, head straight for the ladies toilets and take a good hard look in the mirror.  There's nothing worse than ordering a pot of Earl Grey tea and a toasted teacake and wondering why the otherwise charming waitress can't take her eyes off you as she stifles her giggles.  Reason: bugs that have met a sad end in oily sun protection factor 30.
  • remember what gear you're in.  There's nothing more frustrating in the moment when you're pushing the pedals for all you're worth and you think - just got to drop down a gear - but you're already in 1st :-(   Then 5 minutes later, with chain back in place, fingers black with grease you realise it's time for a snack break - hmm, packet of crisps with added oil?  (The extra calories must be good for me).
  • the views, ahh the views.  Whether it's shades of blue from the sea merging into a misty indescribable colour as it meets the sky or the infinitely varying shades of green of the vegetation, you can't help but be awed by the beauty of the landscape.  And if the landscape is this awesome, how much more awe-inspiring must its Creator be?
  •  Well, I've been told to keep these blogs short and sweet so that's all for now.  Feedback, comments welcome, don't be shy!

No comments:

Post a Comment